Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Hear Me Roar

I am so excited. These are the beads... THE BEADS... that have been waiting to come out of me for ever and ever. And they are finally here! My big cat beads, wild cats, beasts of the jungle, the Serengeti, the mountains, and yes, even the back yard. My Tribe of Tiger Beads.

The inspiration:




















For many years, I've been messing around, trying to create "jungle print" type beads. Several years ago, for my birthday, Frank got me a private class with Corina. (My favorite birthday ever, Friday Harbor, kayaking, melting glass with Corina - pure perfection). I remember Corina asked me, what beads did I want to learn how to do - and I answered "animal beads, jungle beads". I'm sure she was thinking, "oh no! not animal beads" but she was great, she pulled out a big encyclopedia and found a picture of a giraffe and another one of a jaguar and we made "animal beads". They were lovely beads, I still have them and will treasure them forever... but they weren't "it".

I tried doing the tiger thing, the jaguar thing, even the zebra thing (I know, that's not a cat!)... but it was never "it", not quite what I was going for, whatever that was. My Rainforest beads hinted at "it". I love those beads... but there was something... else... I was still reaching for.

I finally found "it". Big cats. In glass. Beautiful reactive metallic sparkly shiny glass. My Tribe of Tiger beads. I love them - I hope you do too.








8 comments:

  1. Girlfriend that was what I said in my mind when I saw those fabulous beads!!! Jungle cats. Tribe of Tiger in reality is such a perfect name and description of them and I am sure your lovely Tyger will appreciate the tribute as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, Pam, and I was happy to see Tyger among the pics of inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just beautiful and I can see so many creative possibilities with them! Thank you for your artistry. Leinaala

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - totally cool! Fantastic colours & patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooooh, I think that about sums it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought this bead. I LOVE big cats, and the one in the last picture looks like my cat at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I love the kitty pictures, both big and small! And those tiger beads are awesome. I am heading to your etsy shop right now and buy one. Beautiful work. Marcy
    mantle@piedmontcenter.com
    www.queenmarcyoriginals.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete