I got my viking knit kit and wire last week and couldn't wait to get started. So I sat in my car at the homeschool resource center and in one hour, figured it out. Luke was impressed. So was I. Here is my first attempt - one side (on the left) is single stitch, and the last inch or so (on the right) is double stitch:
Then I made several more. One while sitting in the car waiting for Luke to have Racketball lessons. That one was not so great, but I learned from my mistakes. It took a little to figure out how to get a wire spliced in without it showing too much. But now I have it.
Here are my last three attempts, from top to bottom - single stitch, drawn through the two largest holes, then single stitch, drawn through all four holes to the smallest size, then double stitch, drawn through... I think the two larger holes.
I just ordered some silver wire and need to order some end caps next. Fun!