Friday, March 18, 2011

A Smile in Every Bite

I have been hearing about the sadness of missing goldfish crackers for a few weeks now. My boy is nothing if not persistent. One day he even sat down at my computer and googled gluten free goldfish crackers and left me several recipes to choose from on my desktop. Such a smart boy! Anyway... I ordered my fish cutter and my GF Flour, and we finally got around to trying one of them. These came out REALLY good. Of course I used Beecher's cheese - how could they go wrong? Such a lot of work for a small snack, but I have a happy child and really, that's all that matters, right?









Super Gold Fish Crackers
Adapted from Cindy at Gluten Free in Montana who's recipe is adapted from Yumsugar.

1 C GF flour (I used GF Classical Blend sold by Authentic Foods)
1/2 t xantham gum or guar gum
4 T cold butter, cut into small pieces
8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated (I used Beechers!)
3/4 t salt
1/2 t ground pepper
1/4 cup buttermilk

In a large mixer combine the flour, xantham gum, butter, cheese, salt and pepper. Add the buttermilk and mix until it forms a ball. Add more buttermilk if needed but don't add too much, the dough will be on the dry side.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 20 minutes to 24 hours. If the dough gets too cold you may need to let it warm a bit before you can easily roll it out.
Heat the oven to 350 F. Place 1/3 of the dough on wax paper and cover with a second piece of wax paper. This is the best way I've found to roll out GF dough. Using a rolling pin roll it to 1/8" thickness and cut out your desired shapes. We used this mini goldfish cutter and used a toothpick to poke eyes and a spoon to make smiles. Place the cut outs on a cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden and crisp, don't under cook! These are best crispy. Repeat with the remaining dough.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you even made their smiles! I'm thinking you could write a version about your gluten free change, pros and cons, hits and misses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smiles were Luke's idea, he insisted. By the time he was sick of cutting them out and putting smiles on them, I had a few left and just put them on, no eye or smiles - and those guys got puffy!

    The changes I made were just because I didn't have sour cream, but I did have buttermilk left over from making that soda bread from yesterday... otherwise I would have tried it her way. Maybe next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job mom! Always good to have a happy kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a good mom! (and a lucky boy) They do look yummy. I am definitely going to try this recipe. I love the fishy crackers myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete