Monday, January 21, 2008

The Etsy Showcase

So, I never said how it went. Well... I have to say, I was not impressed. A few views, A few hearts, no sales. I went in a few times during the day to switch my showcased item around. My more traditional red heart did way better than my blue or brown winged hearts. Someone was nice enough to comment how much they liked my pink heart. But all in all, for $15, I don't think it was worth it. Unfortunately, I have a spot in one at the end of this week - I was so excited to see spots available that I snatched two up. And then I was stupid enough to go onto the Etsy forums and read thread after thread about how showcases are such a waste of money. Ah well, live and learn, right? My Esty bill will be much higher this month and so at least someone made out in the deal.
I like Etsy, it's a super easy place to set up a shop, the record keeping is good, it ties in well with PayPal and PayPal shipping ties in well with the USPS.... but so far the promoting ideas they suggest/sell, don't seem to be working. I think I get more views, and sales, from blog readers and my friends in other (non-Etsy) forums. I hope that it's also an easy buying experience for my customers, and that they would let me know if it wasn't.

That said, I'm considering, gulp, putting a couple of beads up on eBay - as I'm sure you know, eBay is still The place to find a great selection of amazing (and not so amazing) lampwork beads. Let's see how this goes - wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. I had exactly the same experience with the Etsy showcase. I was so disappointed! They are very secretive about how to actually promote your Etsy shop, how do some people sell so much on there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think the people who legitimately (that sounds bad, I mean artists, not suppliers) sell a lot on etsy have great promotion outside of etsy. They are published in magazines and books, have a good customer base from shows and blogs... and probably had this in place before Etsy. Suppliers sell well there because most of the other sellers there love to create and want to support etsy and it's easy to shop from them.

    I don't think the things that are being suggested in the etsy forums necessarily work they way they are said to - you know, relisting your items every day (only makes the categories change all the much more quicker and makes etsy money), chatting a lot in the forums (ugh, so much time is spent there), buying from other sellers (well, that can be fun), showcases (might work for some, but again etsy is making money there - if you consider that most things that sell on etsy are under $20 and the showcase costs $15, even if you sell one thing, you don't break even), treasuries (fun fun, and they do generate views and sometimes sales). I think those things might help a little bit... sometimes... but I think people would be better off creating more and promoting outside of etsy.

    But I'm no expert ;) Just my observations from really absorbing things over the past few weeks while stuck on the couch with a sick kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, Pam I just got my heart bead and I have to say I found you (as you know) through your flickr photos and the fact that I have followed your beadwork for awhile, wishing that I could buy one someday. So I finally did! And I LOVE it.

    I don't have a shop on etsy, but my son and his girlfriend do. I think so far they've had a similar experience with etsy -- but they are not relying on that particularly, to sell their items. They sell in physical boutiques, and online sales augment their retail store sales. They are really small now -- it's not supporting them.

    anyway, etsy sounds like there are some good and not-so-good aspects to marketing yourself through them. I agree that the integration with PayPal and the EASE of purchasing on etsy make it fun to use. Good luck with your auctions on ebay.

    did i already say i really love the heart? I'm wearing it now. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same experience with the Showcase, too. Live and learn I guess.

    ReplyDelete