Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Today is...

Today is International Day of Peace. It's also our wedding anniversary. It's a wonder I didn't miss either one of them as neither one is on my calendar. I don't know when IDOP started, but nine years ago today Frank and I had a party and got married (it was beautiful, though I'm sure if I had it to do over, I'd do it differently). And also another anniversary - twelve years ago this week, since our first date. I think this might be the first year I've remembered it and really thought about it in the way people think of anniversaries. I've never been one for making a big deal about them... and I think I set a precedent for this when, for our first-year anniversary, I scheduled a trip away with a girlfriend that weekend - not on purpose - I just forgot. Frank didn't seem to mind. The next year I think we both completely forgot until the day of. Pretty much all of the nine years would have been that way except my mother always reminds me one way or another. Usually with her sentimental "Oh, the stargazer lily from your wedding is blooming again and it's SO beautiful!". And Frank is actually even worse than me about it: he thinks our anniversary is on the 23rd, not the 21st, and no matter how many times I correct him, I don't think he's ever going to commit the right date to memory.

But for some reason, I've been thinking about it this year... I guess because it feels like a really long time. We have both changed so much in the 12 years since we met. We are lucky that we are growing in a similar direction though - we could be in trouble if that were not the case. And also, I realize there is not much in my life that has been around longer than he has been. A handful of friends, my family, a few sentimental heirlooms... that's about it. Kesia has been around for 10 - that's pretty close. Nine years in this house that I'm so desperate to move out of. Yes.... it feels like a very long time, yet it's passed in a blur. A blur of working and playing, remodeling our home, illness and healing, everyday living... and... Luke. I hope the next 9 years are not so blurry... though I bet they will be. I'm sure they will be interesting though - things are looking that way at least. And next year, I've been promised an anniversary vacation. Spain or Italy or Ireland. That will be an anniversary to remember. At least I hope so - if we don't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment