Saturday, February 07, 2009

500 Beads for Alzheimer's Disease

Our family is dealing with Alzheimer's Disease... it is a completely devastating disease, awful for the victim, worse for the family, and especially hard for the care-givers. My grandmother has it, my husband's father has it. My step grand-father has it. My great aunt had it. So many people I've talked to recently know someone who has it or had it. My step-brother is a medical student and has decided he is going to devote his career to researching it in the hopes of discovering a cure. And I've decided I must do something too, in addition to supporting my family in whatever way I possibly can from 3,000 miles away.

This is what I decided. For every bead sale I make this year, I will donate $1 to the Alzheimer's Association. My goal for the year is $500, which means I've got 469 beads to go. That's more than one bead a day, but I think it's do-able. Wouldn't it be wonderful to double it though! No matter, every bead will count and I'll keep updating my progress through the year.

3 comments:

  1. what a great idea. how wonderful that you are doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I hope you reach your goal quickly and easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your goal. I work in a nursing home, and a coworker and I were just talking today about what a terrible disease alzheimers is. It is a cruel thief. I love your beads, and am sure I will help you with your goal more than once during this year.

    ReplyDelete