Thursday, March 15, 2012

Beyond Layers ~ Day 16 B&W

So... this is good, we learned how to adjust to B&W in the ACR - Adobe Camera Ready editor - plus, I'm loving shooting in RAW, I think it makes a huge difference.

All the B&W shots I've shared earlier this week, I converted using Pioneer Woman Actions or with Nelly Nero actions... or combinations of actions. This one, I only followed Kim's instructions. I like it. I may go back and put an action on it too... at some point because I'm loving the magic of PW's actions. They are just so moody. (OK, update here: the actions don't work if you convert to B&W in the ACR... so... I had to mess around on my own trying to make some magic... maybe I did, maybe I didn't, but a gradient helped in the second one, and the last two have a gaussian blur layer at a couple of different blend modes.)

I've also decided I really only like B&W if it's dramatic, lots of contrast, lots of dark. Of course I may change my mind at some future date... but that's what I think today.





and one last one, to compare to yesterday's moss photos - I really, REALLY, love this new control I have over all of it! Wow!



6 comments:

  1. Lovely line-up of the b&w...I think in looking at these, I am partial to the 3rd one, so soft and dreamy. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment must appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are speaking a new language these days and I'm envious because I don't understand half of it! Happy that does not prevent me from enjoying the beauty you are creating. Me, I'm still stuck on week two of Beyond Layers. I've been having too much fun painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie, you'll get there when you get there :) I started shooting in RAW instead of JPG - does your camera do that? If so, switch, it's a huge difference in quality! Enjoy your painting, it doe look tons of fun, I don't know how you do it all.

      Delete
  3. Pam, these are absolutely lovely!
    I am yet to work on my assignment for the week but I can't wait.
    I especially love the texture on the first shot (so beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geetlee, I know you'll have fun with this one, I know I did!

      Delete