Monday, February 27, 2012

Beyond Layers ~ Day 13: Simple Truths

Today, Kim asked us to list 10 Truths about ourselves, along with a picture. Here's the truth about me, I have trees in my hair. Oh, wait, that's not what she asked for. Truths, not fairy tales.


1. My favorite colors are jewel tones, the colors of the sky at sunset.

2. If I could live anywhere in the world, it would be somewhere with more sunshine than Seattle, but all the beauty of the Pacific Northwest on a sunny day. Plus, there would be water and a kayak with my name on it.

3. I homeschool my kid, which looks an awful lot like regular school half the week and unschooling the rest of the week. He's growing up to be an amazing person, but I worry about him getting into college. I try to tell myself that all mothers have the same worry, no matter what school they go to.

4. I'm kind of a geek. I like my gadgets, I like to code in HTML, I am so enjoying deconstructing layers in Photoshop, I spend way too much time on the internet. I've been known to have the laptop, the kindle fire and the iPhone all going on at one time. Sometimes you just need multiple screens!

5. I'm a craft supply hoarder. I have a whole studio in the backyard devoted to melting glass and jewelry making. I have a whole basement full of yarns, clay, fabric, paints, brushes, gel medium. I have a whole *basket full* of gel medium. And a wall full of beads. And another wall full of glass rods. I have two sewing machines that I don't know how to use. Also, I create more art in my head than ever sees the full light of day.

6. I bought myself a guitar, but I don't know how to play it. It sits in a stand in my living room mocking me.

7. I am a bit of a political junkie, a progressive dreamer, a feminist, equal rights, a free-choice, peace-loving, live and let live kind of person. I do not wear tie-dye.

8. I'm a food freak. I'm all about home-grown, local farmer grown, seasonal, humane, non-gmo, organic whole foods. Plus coffee. Espresso, really. I can't eat gluten anymore, and so I don't bake much anymore, something I've always loved. I have planted 6 fruit trees in my front yard and have 4 raised beds in my back yard. I love to pick lettuce right out of the garden for salad, and the strawberries? O.M.G. there are no better strawberries than the ones you grow yourself.

9. I love books. My guilty pleasure is vampire and werewolf and shape-shifter stories. I read history books for pleasure too, though admittedly, they help me to fall asleep. There are piles of books all over my house, art books, garden books, chicken-raising books, bird books, school books, cookbooks. And magazines. Way too many magazines.

10. I am blessed beyond belief with an amazing husband who spoils me, a beautiful child who makes me laugh and makes my heart ache with love, a big dopey happy dog, and a possessive cat, and a coop full of happy chickens who give us fresh eggs and a whole lot of entertainment.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Pam, What fun to read your 10 truths! I can sure get behind you with the craft hording and books and gardening. I would love to live in your neck of the woods even on a rainy day (or not!), visited there often and it was nice each time. See you Beyond! Sally P in Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  2. We might be neighbors. We live part time just east of Seattle and part time in Tri Cities, where my husband works... We homeschooled our kids way back in the day, our oldest is 31! Love you picture and so fun to get to know eveyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I see we both love to make jewelry.

      Delete
  3. Hi Pam, I'm visiting from Beyond Layers. Love the trees in your hair and your 10 truths. I live in your neck of the woods.

    Now I must take a photograph to go with my truths.

    I'll be back. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #5 and #9 - I am with you all the way. Molly Harper is wonderful if you haven't read anything by her yet. And I love my gadgets too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home grown, is THE BEST, lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just love gel medium?! Quite inspired by your 10 truths. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing your list. love that you have trees in your hair...

    ReplyDelete