Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Still Researching.... another health post.

This is me: I don't want no stinkin' bandaid. I want it healed up and fixed for good.

This is also me: I don't want to go gluten free.

And this is also me: Life isn't fair.

Stubborn, it's true, should have been my middle name. Just ask my mother. Or my husband. But it's not a bad thing, necessarily. It's what keeps me going and searching and learning. Right?

It's what keeps me going back to here: it's not the thyroid, it's the immune system. I know this for a fact. It's how I got out of Grave's Disease the first time around. It's how I was in remission for awhile. It's how I'm going to get out of this Hashimotos mess too. Even if it kills me.

Because that's what it feels like to think about going gluten free. Over my dead body. Same thing with coffee and dairy. I don't wanna. If that sounds like a temper tantrum, it's because it is. I don't wanna.

But if you read the book "Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms?" by Dr. Datis Kharrazian, you might just wanna. It's the first book I've read that really goes in depth into what is going on with the immune system. How the immune system is attacking the thyroid. What you can do about it. How it is all a big jumble of connections between blood sugar and adrenals and gut health and all the other hormones in your body. And what you can do about it. If you wanna.

Reading this book is kind of alarming. Even if you are not normally a hypochondriac, it might just get your stress hormones all in a tither. It does mine. Blood sugar! Oh no! Leaky gut! Oh no! Gluten so similar to TPO binding hormone, oh NO!

But, there is also a lot of fascinating information in there, much of it goes against the grain of traditional thyroid disease treatment. Things you may want to try. Or not. Like that gluten thing. I'm not. I did it before without going gluten free, I can do it again. Unless it starts to kill me, I guess then I might just be stubborn enough to try it.

1 comment:

  1. Have you gone gluten free? I went g-free a year ago and it has made the biggest difference in my life. It's been 13 years since I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (I actually found your blog years ago searching for answers on my thyroid condition and found a post by you on a board. I've been lurking on your blog for years. I hope that's not creepy, I just like your jewelry!) So knowing I have this thyroid problem, I was always perplexed that I still had annoying symptoms even though my Dr. said my levels were normal. I felt horrible, crappy and depressed. Within a month of going g-free I felt better than I ever did! Anyway, just me two cents. BTW I am artist, own a kayak company on the Chesapeake Bay and have 9 year old son. Good luck!
    Kerrie

    ReplyDelete