Saturday, May 22, 2010

Stopping the Madness

Another health post. This one is for all of the women (and men, though there are fewer of them for some reason) with thyroid disease who have been trying and trying to feel better on the synthetic T4 (Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothyroxine, etc.) but just don't ever quite get there.

Stop the Thyroid Madness: This website and book is based on the observations, experiences and research of many people who have found that natural desiccated thyroid hormones works better for them than the synthetic hormones. They also talk a lot about adrenal issues and iron deficiency; two big issues that can make or break thyroid treatment success.

The website has just about all the information you need, and the blog is current with real issues and up to the minute discoveries.

The book is good though, if you want information at your fingertips, or if you want to take it with you to the doctors office to make your case. It lists all the tests really necessary for proper treatment, all the fillers in each of the different brands of thyroid hormone, which is really important when your body views just about everything your put into it as a potential threat, and information on finding a good doctor who will really help you to get better.



All that said, it's really too early to say if natural thyroid hormone is helping me. Or, maybe it's not. My eyes feel so much better now that I'm not taking a drug with fillers I'm allergic to, so yes, that's huge. And my eyebrows are growing back in... that's great news too, right? And I'm sleeping better than I have in YEARS... which is also huge. I get thirsty and hungry, which I hadn't realized I wasn't feeling before... which makes me feel like my body is trying to LIVE again, instead of trying to die, which is also HUGE. So, I guess it's working. It's a start anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the suggestion. My daughter was diagnosed with hashimoto's when she was six and has been relatively stable for years. However, as she approaches puberty I'm getting a little worried about all of the changes she is going through. I may read this before her next endocrinology appt.

    ReplyDelete